On sunny and mild Saturday, May 7, a dozen volunteers from Havillah and Tonasket gathered at Camp Ortoha to prepare it for the 2016 season. These generous and hard-working folks washed the Mess Hall and kitchen windows, inside and out, and scrubbed the kitchen counters, shelves, refrigerators, stoves, cookware and floors. The grounds were raked and the brush was piled. All buildings were thoroughly swept out. Three new medicine cabinets were installed, two in the speakers’ cabin and one in the cooks’ cabin. In the shower building, several shower heads were replaced and the floors bleached, and the hot water in the boy’s bathroom was repaired. The Maintenance and Facilities Team had the water up and running the day before. Two professional loggers were up the previous week to remove some trees that posed a threat.
The first group of renters arrives May 23. Renters include schools, scout troops, arts and crafts clubs, youth groups and family gatherings. Our own three weeks of Youth Camp begin with Grade School Camp on July 24, followed by High School and Middle School Camps.
Please join us for Havillah Immanuel Lutheran Church’s Annual Mission Festival at camp on July 31. You will find a warm welcome! The outdoor service begins at 11 a.m., followed by the renowned Mission Festival pot-luck! Mission Festival guest speaker will be Pastor Winston Wilson of Lutheran Indian Ministries, Makah Lutheran Church, Neah Bay, WA. In the afternoon you can plan a local hike to the Big Trees or Strawberry Mountain, or fish and swim at Lost Lake Campground or nearby Bonaparte Lake.
Camp Ortoha’s Wish List:
- The kitchen floor could be repainted when the weather is warm and as the camp schedule allows. Contact Lenette Schuldheisz for scheduling and more information (509.485.2211)
- Shelves in the kitchen and the KP cart could use a coat of paint.
- One more medicine cabinet - $110
- Donated large, nice scraps of vinyl to replace the old linoleum lining the open kettle shelves
- $300 would buy a replacement mouse-proof cabinet for the kitchen
- Some windows need re-calking
Many thanks to all our Camp Ortoha supporters!